Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Carpe Diem

This is perhaps my favorite phrase.  We have traditionally been taught to think of this as 'seizing the day'; however, this phrase literally means:  'Pluck [as in plucking a ripe fruit] the day, trusting as little as possible in the future'.


The meaning is similar to that of many proverbs that we continue to use in English and is a warning to make the most of the time we have, with the implication that our time on Earth is short.  In other words, use our time to the best of our ability.




I began liking this phrase when I saw the 1989 movie, Dead Poets Society.  I love that movie.  It isn't my favorite, but it's in my top 10.

I like how Robin Williams introduced this to his students: "They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary."

Take out the daffodils and boys, and you have the ending words, 'make your lives extraordinary.'  I believe that is what most people would like for themselves. 

Being in Korea affords us the time to think and be in our heads.  We have the distinct opportunity to help ourselves become better people.  We think a lot about being a better person and how to go about that.  I like being able to hear my own thoughts.  We have time to really listen to what our head and brain are thinking about.  We have always heard it but here we have the chance to really listen and then to apply what we are hearing.


We are never finished evolving ourselves into better (or worse) people.  We are truly life long learners of ourselves and who we want to be.  People come into our lives and people go out of them.  While they are with us we each share parts of ourselves with each other.  We keep parts we like (consciously and subconsciously) and throw away (or keep for spare parts) the bits we dislike saying to ourselves, "I will never do that or become like them."

Joseph and I have learned a lot about ourselves and each other since being here.  About who we are and why we do, say or act ways we do.  I quoted a friend in an earlier post saying that Korea is a great therapist and she pays you.  It is absolutely true.  A few people here may become your guide or reality check.  I firmly believe everyone needs them.  It is what you choose to do after you realize these thoughts, emotions or feelings that counts.  Do you just continue to think or say these to yourself and others with no forward momentum to help yourself or do you actually get off the proverbial couch and fix it, change it, delete it, move on and/or get over it? 


Every person thinks these thoughts (I hope) but I also think it is scary for most people to change.  Most of us hate change.  It is perhaps when we buck the system that we really do the most change and become better people because of it.  Hopefully.

My goal is to fix, change, get over and/or delete my more common thoughts, feelings and emotions that are getting in my own way of becoming a better person.  I am a get up and go type person.  I like to think of myself as a doer and not a procrastinator.  When it comes to my thoughts and making myself better I have become lazy.  No longer.  All of those sayings such as, "put your money where your mouth is"; "put up or shut up", etc. come to mind and they are accurate as well.  If a person is going to say they will change or fix something, they should.  Otherwise, don't say it.  Sounds simple but that's where lying comes in.  Lying to Self.  Another word for another post.  

I want to become a better person.  

I will become a better person. 

Carpe.  Diem.

"Think Good Thoughts"

2 comments:

  1. that's pretty inspirational. i think a lot of people come to korea to be healed, which is interesting given that the natives need it just as much. i hope you do what you need to, find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lily. :) Joseph and I didn't come here to be healed but since we have been here we have learned things that need to change. Not sure what we are looking for exactly, but isn't that part of it?

    ReplyDelete